Heritage listed located on the main railway line between Ipswich and Toowoomba. 150 years of history and its beautiful landscape gardens.
The importance of the station was recognised by the National Trust of Queensland which listed the Main Range Railway on its Register in March 1994.
On 25 February 1864, the construction of the line commenced employing approx. 1,600 men.
The project was tackled in five stages the section from Murphy’s Creek to Toowoomba is known as the “Main Range”. This was regarded as a notoriously difficult section of rail to construct, given the steepness and had to be lengthened by 9 miles, costing an extra £100,000.
The first train from Ipswich reached Toowoomba, a mere four years after the Railway Act was passed by the Qld Parliament. The journey from Ipswich to Helidon took three hours with the remainder taking over two hours. Highfields Station, commonly known as the Main Range Station in its early days, was the principal crossing and watering station because of its suitable gradient and abundant water supply. In February 1890, the station was renamed Spring Bluff by Railway Commissioner Gray.
The station served as an outlet for timber, dairy and other produce for the Highfields area.
Today, the passing of steam trains and the introduction of the centralised traffic control system has brought down the curtain on Spring Bluff as an operational station. The station was decommissioned in August 1992, and the ganger and fettler crew withdrawn in September 1993.